Over the Memorial Day weekend, XM Radio’s 80’s on 8 released its top 40 songs from the 1980’s that sound like summer. Coming in at #1 was Bananarama’s 1983 top ten hit, Cruel Summer. While there’s not typically a lot going on in the world of collegiate sports this time of year, early summer headlines from Cyclone country give every indication that this is going to be a totally “not-cruel-summer” for Iowa State fans. Here are the top 5 summer headlines that show this summer is shaping up to be (to put it in 80’s terms)…like…totally awesome, dude!
5. Iowa State Volleyball: It’s one of the most amazing success stories in Cyclone athletics history that no one is talking enough about. Christy Johnson-Lynch has taken a program that was virtually non-existent to an almost powerhouse status the last several years. And, based on Prepvolleyball.com’s recent recruiting rankings, that’s not going to change anytime soon. The incoming Cyclone class was rated the #6 best-class in the nation, according to the website. The Cyclones had one of their most successful seasons ever in 2011, advancing to the Elite 8, and finishing as the nation’s #8 ranked team in the final polls of the year.
4. Royce White: Am I crazy in thinking that White could wind up being the best player in this draft? Everyone knows that Kentucky’s Anthony Davis is going to be the #1 pick. That’s a given. But really, is Davis the type of offensive player that’s going to excite fans in the NBA? And how many times have we seen the #1 pick flame out? Three years from now, will he really be considered the best player from this draft? Jeff Goodman, of CBSsports.com lists Royce White as the #8 best player in the draft. Ahead of White are Arnett Moultrie, Terrance Jones, John Henson, Perry Jones III, Jared Sullinger, Thomas Robinson, and Anthony Davis. Thinking back to the NCAA Tournament a few months ago, I remember one player dominating a basketball floor more than any other, including a performance against Anthony Davis. And that player was Royce White.
3. Big 12/SEC: The news this summer that the Big 12 and SEC had partnered up for a New Year’s Day bowl game was the equivalent of Jennifer Aniston asking one of your deadbeat high school friends out on a date. Ok, maybe not quite that dramatic. But, considering where the Big 12 was at a year or two ago versus where it’s at now is a pretty major step in the right direction.
2. Fred Hoiberg Contract Extension: Iowa State announced a new 8 year contract to keep The Mayor as its head basketball coach. The Cars sang a popular song about summer in the 80’s called “Magic,” an appropriate song title for the man who will be leading the “Magic” at Hilton Coliseum for the rest of the decade!
1. Pre-Season Football Magazine Hype: Most of the 2012 college football magazines will be hitting the racks in the next few weeks, ramping up the excitement level for the upcoming college football season—the most wonderful time of the year. Last week, Lindy’s Magazine listed its top linebacking units in all of college football. Sandwiched between SEC juggernauts Georgia at #1 and Alabama at #3 were the #2 Iowa State Cyclones, featuring A.J. Klein and Jake Knott. We’ll have plenty more to say about the 2012 Iowa State Cyclones football team in the weeks to come!